Tuesday, April 30, 2013

THE MS150 CHRONICLES 2013 PART IV - SATURDAY EVENING

My ride is done for the day, and I’ve run the Paparazzi Gauntlet down the finish line, a hundred cameras capturing for posterity the fact that I finished in just under nine hours, which if you divide that into the mileage is a blistering 10 mph pace.  I take comfort in the fact that that includes all of the rest stops, but hey, it is what it is.  Maybe I’ll be faster next year.  I’m just glad to have finished, and I head for the Mattress Firm tent and the first of many comforts that will be provided.  Question is: which first?  Do I go straight for the showers?  Grab something to eat?  Perhaps a massage or a nap?  As I approach the tent, one of our volunteers opens a cooler and asks “what will you have?”  That settles that: beer it is.

Charity bike rides are the great equalizer, the distilled essence of what Ze French referred to as “égalité” during the Revolution.  See, Marie Antoinette didn’t lose her head for nothing, and my nine hour completion time accords me the same perks as Riders who did it in five, the only difference being that they’ve been enjoying all the Goodies since I was laboring back around, oh, Belville. 

Everything else falls into place as I sit outside the tent and watch the happy cyclists come in.  The weather has been perfect all day for riding, and now it is perfect for just sitting on a metal folding chair and kicking back with a mixed group of folks: Riders whose labors for the day are finally over, Volunteers whose labors for the day are just beginning.  After a while I mosey over and claim my luggage, then hop on a bus to take a shower at the Middle School.  This turns out to be a good decision, as I learn on my return that the huge portable showers at the fairgrounds had a one hour wait, and had run out of hot water, at least for the men.

Not that hot water is that big a deal.  For years, a bunch of us would bathe in some primitive cold showers set up at one end of a large pavilion otherwise reserved for livestock.  Granted, you bathed in your bike shorts, but it was amazingly refreshing, and there was no wait.  They got rid of those a few years’ back though, so we’re all relegated to a line sometime during the weekend.  Small price to pay though: I’m told that very basic motel rooms in LaGrange are going for $270 per night. 

I head back to the team tent and make my umpteenth attempt to call or text Sharon.  Curiously, her text messages get through, but mine won’t go out, so she starts to worry.  And, I’m running out of juice.  On a table at the end of the tent is the cell phone charging station promised in one of our e-mails.  I’m not sure what caused me to believe that they would also be providing the cables, but I did, so I was out of luck on that count, and had to rely on the kindness of a stranger who let me use her cable once she was done.  I checked in at the massage tent and booked the last slot they had for the day.  The Massage Lady also let me use her phone to text Sharon, since AT&T was apparently working intermittently, whereas Verizon was not.  I moved over to the buffet and had an inhumanly large plate of fajitas; a half hour later I was on the table getting a massage.

Now, the thing you should know is that the Masseuses at the MS150 consider themselves not so much massagers as they are physical therapists, so the massage is not your typical resort style rub-down.  The first ten minutes they rub everything, even your hands, which feels amazingly good, then do more PT in the second half of the session.  Your muscles are stretched and your joints are flexed and you will enjoy it, Meat.  My Masseuse was a cheerful gal in her mid-twenties, amazingly strong and offended by the inflexibility of my left hip and knee.  She went to work, moving both legs through a range of motion and trying to get the left side to approximate the right.  About the third time she pressed my left thigh into my chest, I actually had to Tap Out; probably not the first time a customer has been a weenie, but certainly a first for me.  I got a stern lecture to work on the flexibility in my knee and hip or they were never going to get better, and rolled off the table feeling wonderfully better than when I had come in.

I paid the head lady and thanked her “for the massage and the message, ha ha ha!”, but got nothing but a blank stare.  “You know, massage on table, message on phone.....nothing?”  This time I got a smile along with the blank stare.  I skulked away. 

After a day of bike riding, a shower, massage, dinner and a few drinks, it’s impossible not to feel at peace with the world; and it’s also impossible not to feel the siren-like call of your bed for a nap, the problem being that the nap might stretch to Lights Out (10pm).  Still, that was entirely more of an option because, being on the Mattress Firm team, we all did in fact have a mattress of our very own to sleep on.  By this point it’s almost 8pm, so I pull the sheet over me and read with a headlamp.  That doesn’t last long, as the temperature drops steadily until it is around 50 degrees just before lights out.  I zip the legs onto my bike pants around 9:30pm, bundle  up and call it a night,  but not before putting on something called a Breathe Right “Advanced” Nasal Strip.  I do this for the sake of my tent-mates, being an inveterate snorer: Epic, even.  Livestock have been birthed prematurely because of my snoring.

All The Comforts Of Home
 
The problem with the “Advanced” nasal strip is size: it is roughly as big as a full grown Monarch butterfly, and much the same shape.  This is supposed to go across the bridge of your nose?  No matter, it’s what I’ve got, so on it goes.  The lights go dim at 9:40 and out at 10pm.  They’ve already turned off all the generators, and there is literally not a human sound to be heard, nor that of a machine.  Thank god for the mattress, that was the only consolation to what turned out to be a humid cold night, and I was regretting not bringing a winter cap.  Didn’t matter; I slept.  The leg cramps got me on schedule, but I was actually able to walk them off in short order.  I fell back asleep almost immediately, and stayed that way, content to leave any further distractions to happen, or not, as they would.

The night on the whole was a good one, and I didn’t snore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends - Let 'er rip!